Battling the Buzz: 3 DIY Hacks to Keep Flies at Bay
Are you tired of feeling like you’re living in an insect apocalypse, with flies constantly buzzing around your home? Johannesburg residents, in particular, have recently found themselves inundated with these pesky airborne menaces. Flies can be persistent and seemingly indestructible, making it challenging to enjoy a meal without constant interruptions. If you’re looking for alternatives to commercial fly sprays and traps, fear not! Here are three safe and healthy DIY tricks you can try at home using simple ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.
- DIY Fly Repellent Sprays:
- The Simple Spray: Combat flies with a solution that won’t harm your family or pets. Mix 1 cup of white vinegar, ⅓ cup of dishwashing liquid, and 1 cup of water. Transfer the mixture to a spray bottle for a quick and effective defense against bothersome flies.
- The Essential Oil Spray: Enhance your homemade fly spray with essential oils known for their refreshing scents and bug-repellent properties. Combine 4 cups of apple cider vinegar, 2 tbsp of olive or canola oil, 1 tbsp of dishwashing liquid, 20 drops each of peppermint, rosemary, and basil oils. Transfer the mixture to a spray bottle for a fragrant and fly-deterring solution.
- Homemade Fly Trap:
- Create fly traps using ingredients similar to the simple fly spray. Sacrifice a shallow dish and fill it with a combination of apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp of sugar, and dishwashing liquid. Place these traps in areas with high fly density, such as near food sources or garbage. To minimize the vinegar smell, cover the dish with plastic wrap, leaving a few points of entry for the flies.
- The Optical Illusion:
- Utilize an optical illusion that has been confirmed by entomologists. Introduce strategically placed, water-filled translucent plastic bags into your household. The light patterns created by the water in the bags can be distracting and off-putting to flies due to the shape and sensitivity of their eyes. This clever trick is particularly effective during the day, helping to keep your kitchen and other sanitary zones fly-free.
Say goodbye to the constant buzz and annoyance of flies with these simple and natural DIY solutions. Whether you opt for the easy-to-make sprays, homemade traps, or the optical illusion, you’ll be taking a step towards a fly-free haven in your home. Give these tricks a try and enjoy a more peaceful living space without resorting to toxic commercial alternatives.